Former Nigeria’s Minister of Power, Saleh Mamman, has been arrested days after being sentenced to 75 years in prison over corruption charges linked to major electricity projects, the country’s anti-graft agency confirmed. The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) said Mamman was detained early Tuesday in Kaduna State after weeks of surveillance. Authorities say he had gone into hiding following a court ruling in Abuja that convicted him on 12 counts of corruption and financial misconduct. The court found that Mamman and several associates diverted at least ₦22 billion (about $14 million) intended for hydroelectric power projects. Prosecutors told the court that the funds were siphoned through proxy companies, with evidence showing deliberate misappropriation of public resources.
He was sentenced in absentia after failing to appear in court for the judgment. EFCC Chairman Ola Olukoyede said the arrest reflects ongoing efforts to ensure that convicted officials serve their sentences, as part of Nigeria’s wider anti-corruption drive. Mamman, who served as power minister from 2019 to 2021 under former President Muhammadu Buhari, is also facing a separate corruption trial involving ₦31 billion in alleged mismanagement of public funds. A warrant for his arrest had earlier been issued after he repeatedly failed to appear in that case. The sentencing and arrest have reignited public frustration over Nigeria’s persistent electricity crisis. Despite its status as one of Africa’s largest energy producers, the country continues to experience frequent power outages, forcing many homes and businesses to depend on expensive fuel generators.

