Families of young Kenyans recruited to fight for Russia in the Ukraine war protested Thursday in Nairobi, demanding government action to bring their sons home. Holding photos of their children, some wounded or missing, protesters chanted slogans such as “Bring back our sons” and called on parliament to ban the recruitment of Kenyans for foreign conflicts. Odhiambo Ojiro, a rapid response officer at the human rights group Vocal Africa, said the government must end its silence. “We are urging and demanding that they meet the families immediately to bring back all Kenyans in Russia, whether dead or alive,” he said.

An intelligence report presented to parliament revealed that Kenyan and Russian officials allegedly colluded with recruitment agencies to send over 1,000 Kenyans to the frontlines. Of those, at least 89 remain in Ukraine or Russia, one has died, 39 have been hospitalized, 28 are missing, and others have returned home. Foreign Minister Musalia Mudavadi said diplomatic efforts are underway to secure the release and repatriation of Kenyans, including those held as prisoners of war.
Families emphasized that their sons were untrained civilians and accused recruiters of “human trafficking, forced recruitment, and violations of international humanitarian and labor laws.” So far, two Kenyans have been charged in connection with the case. Monica Wanjiku Gwere, grandmother of 28-year-old Isaac Kungu, called for her grandson’s return, alive or deceased, while Evans Jumba, father of Nickson Nyabuti, condemned Kenya’s involvement. The protests highlight growing concern over illegal recruitment of citizens for foreign conflicts and the urgent need for government intervention.


